Wolfson completed a league and cup double in their first full seasonLouis Ashowrth

Wolfson’s men’s football team completed a dream debut season, beating the Cambridge University Press (CUP) 6-0 in the MCR Champions Cup final to ensure a historic league and cup double.

Having only been founded at the start of the year following a dispute with Darwin, with whom they had previously shared a team, Wolfson came into the final unbeaten, having won all of their games this season including a 4-3 win earlier in the season against CUP.

As league leaders and with a goal difference of +28 from only six matches, Wolfson came into the game as overwhelming favourites and managed to live up to their billing, dominating proceedings from the outset and not allowing CUP to settle into the game.

Wolfson’s high pressing football put CUP on the back foot almost immediately, with club captain Jack Vanderpump recording the game’s first shot with less than a minute on the clock.

As the half continued, Wolfson maintained their pressure on CUP, with their full backs unable to deal with persistent pressure from Wolfson’s front three. This pressure eventually paid dividends as the Wolves opened the scoring after 23 minutes courtesy of Michael Elliot with the Canadian coolly stroking the ball in the bottom corner after some static defending from the CUP back four.

Wolfson doubled their lead less than four minutes later, with David Gunn scoring a near-identical goal to Elliot, once again passing the ball past a motionless goalkeeper following yet more poor defending by CUP.

Stefan Wolf posed problems for CUP's defence all matchLouis Ashworth

As the half wore on, Wolfson continued to expose CUP’s defensive frailties as Blues midfielder Stefan Wolf, continued to frustrate the Press with a series of mazy runs. Wolf’s class was evident as he skipped past five defenders, leaving two on the floor, before passing it into the bottom left of the goal to make it 3-0 to Wolfson after only 35 minutes.

Despite Wolfson’s relentless pressure towards the end of the first half, the game remained 3-0 going into the break as CUP failed to offer any significant threat going forward.

The second half followed much the same pattern as the first, as skillful attacking play from the likes of Angus Buttar, Jonas Eberhardt and Nima Myr combined with the solid defensive work of Dominik Steffens and Jolyon Jones ensured that CUP continued to struggle to gain a foothold of any kind.


Mountain View

Hat-trick of Cuppers hockey wins for St Catharine’s

Buttar made it four in the 49th minute to put the game beyond doubt following some fine work on the wing by Vanderpump with Gunn providing the assist. Perhaps the pick of the goals though came less than a minute later as Wolf continued to impress, rifling a spectacular effort from 30 yards into the top corner.

Wolf completed his hat trick 15 minutes later, after some delightful buildup play between himself and Elliot to cap off a man-of-the-match performance and complete a stunning rout for the debutants.

Speaking to Varsity  after the game, club president Jack Vanderpump said: “We’ve been very lucky to lead a wonderful team this year. It’s been a long journey, forming this club at the beginning of the year and now completing a league-cup double. Hopefully we can make it a treble later this month.”