sam ernest

The last week of term brought us plenty of action and excitement with no less than three finals, two penalty shootouts and one semi-final played, as well as many postponed league fixtures finally taking to the pitch.

The postponed cuppers semi-final between Sidney Sussex and Fitzwilliam promised to be an exciting game. With plenty of attacking talent on display from both sides, goals were to be expected and ultimately delivered. Sidney, having already been relegated from Division 1, were the underdogs but went toe to toe with a high-flying Fitzwilliam side for a large majority of the game. However, losing focus towards the end of the game they eventually slipped to a 1-6 loss courtesy of five goals in the last 30 minutes from an incredibly athletic Fitzwilliam side. A standout performance saw Sean Peedle net a hattrick, as Fitzwilliam now look forward to defending their Cuppers crown at Grange Road on 1st May against Queens.

The CUAFL Plate final between Division 2 sides St Catherines and Girton had some quality football on display, and ended with a dramatic penalty shootout which saw St Catherine's lift the trophy thanks to heroics from goalkeeper Thomas Maher. After Girton went 2-0 up in the first half St Catherine's came back strong in the second half as goals from George Smith and an own goal from a Ruan Hamer corner took the tie to extra-time. With no further goals, the final was to be decided from the spot and after three unsuccessful efforts from Girton, St Catherine's won 3-1 in the shootout and lifted the plate.

“Fitzwilliam now look forward to defending their Cuppers crown at Grange Road on 1st May against Queens”

The CUAFL Shield final also went all the way to penalties and saw Jesus II come out on top against a feisty Homerton II side. Both sides were evenly matched during the game as well as extra time, finishing 120 minutes of football still level at 1-1. Jesus were clinical from the spot, and came out 4-2 winners in the shootout.

Even more silverware for Jesus saw the III’s come out triumphant in their CUAFL Vase final against Caius III. In the first half, the Jesus side started very well to come into the half time break 2-0 up thanks to goals from captain Maksym Lewyckyj and Will Davison. A Caius penalty midway through the second half gave the home side a scare but Jesus’ strong defence held out until the final whistle giving them a 2-1 win.

Elsewhere, in Division 1, relegated Trinity picked up their first win of the season beating Homerton 3-2; an impressive result against a resilient Homerton side who have taken points from Churchill in the league and taken Cuppers finalists Fitzwilliam to extra-time this season.

Fitzwilliam themselves thrashed Homerton 6-0 as well during their double game week with impressive displays all round from a team full of confidence. Midfielder Joe Young ran the show for 90 minutes, but all the plaudits will go to Max Burrows (recently returned from injury) as he netted three past the Homerton keeper. Centre back Nathan McStay and right-back Tom Wake, who have not been regulars this season, also had solid performances giving Homerton no chances whatsoever. Fitzwilliam are now three points clear at the top of the division and with a healthy goal difference leaving them very much front runners in the chase for the title.

Walkovers for both Pembroke and Long Road in Division 2 last week set up an all-important league decider between the two sides, Pembroke needing to avoid defeat to lift the title. Pembroke continued with the form that has put them at the top of the league all season coming out 3-1 winners which results in them being crowned Division 2 champions. Long Road’s first defeat of the season leaves them in third place.


Mountain View

College Football Weekly Round-up 22nd February

In Division 3 Clare I’s 6-1 win over Caius II keeps them in touching distance of the other clubs chasing promotion, boasting a strong goal difference to boot. Ralph Ivey scored a superb hattrick from the left-wing as he tormented the Caius right back all game. James Rodgers also had a stellar performance from centre-midfield as he scored one and assisted another two, whilst Arthur Seymour netted his 13th goal of the campaign.

Churchill II’s final game ended as all the rest have this season, with defeat against a relentless Darwin I side (10-2). Johns II beat Trinity II 3-1 which gives them a huge chance of beating the drop in a game which could only be described as a six-pointer. This leaves Trinity II needing an unlikely giant-slaying win against Kings I in their final game of the season to offer any hope whatsoever.

Full tables, fixtures and results can be found here.