Trinity took home the first trophy of 2011 with victory over Lincoln college OxfordMatt Smith

TCAFC are officially the best college football team in Oxbridge (if not the world). After a sterling 2-1 victory over Lincoln College Oxford in the Super Cuppers final on Saturday, Trinity lifted the trophy to secure their first silverware of the season.

In a battle of attrition the quality and fitness of TCAFC proved too much for a resilient Lincoln side. In the words of Ross Broadway, ‘2.01 Lincoln realises their fan page needs to pipe down.’ After just one minute of play, centre back Mike ‘the giraffe’ Smith, extended his infamously long neck to power home a delectable in-swinging corner. The home side were stunned.

For the next 15 minutes Trinity kept possession well, with Alex Lunn finding the incessant runs of striker Danny Gammal, latching onto a number of half chances with blistering pace. The striker was denied by a string of fine Lincoln saves. However, with their apparent ascendency Trinity grew complacent, allowing a robust Lincoln midfield to find their feet. With a surging run and dangerous strike from right winger Josh Thomas, Trinity were reminded of their opposition’s calibre as the ball fizzed past the alert Lars Boyde’s left post. Deservedly on the 20 minute mark a Lincoln set piece was defended scrappily and met with a solid header which hit the back of the net. The score was now level at 1-1.

With the Lincoln belief inflated and the home crowd rewarded, Trinity were put under intense pressure.  Under the leadership of captain Mathew Smith the defence held a strong line, ensuring the score at half time remained 1-1.

In the second half TCAFC came out rejuvenated and pressed forward using the width of the Iffley Road pitch well. Danger men Mat Cole and Shafi Anwar created space on the right hand side and delivered good service, but some desperate defending by Lincoln prevented another goal.

As the half wore on, both sides were crippled with cramp as the difficult conditions took their toll. The game grew scrappy. As the midfielders battled for possession the game became a stale-mate; until the arrival of Mitch Bibby on Trinity’s right hand side, breaking out from defence looking to find the skilful feet of Akushie. With moments left, Peacock showed the flair he has shown for the Blues all season when he controlled a high ball, beat three Lincoln players and found Gammal with an acute ball. But the angle was made just too small by Lincoln’s keeper and still the decisive second goal would not come.

The game was forced into extra time. With the looming threat of penalties, the relatively quiet Boyde started to imagine that it could be his moment to shine. The engine and industry of Blue’s player Totten in Trinity’s midfield allowed them to push forward in attack. The Cambridge side were rewarded with a corner on the 97th minute. Alex Lunn delivered and Jamie Rutt, the four-time Blue, rose above a floundering Lincoln defence to finish with deadly precision. The crowd were stunned as TCAFC held out for victory in a nerve-wracking final 20 minutes.

Skipper Matt Smith said of the game, "It was played in a good spirit and was a great occasion for all the lads. Thanks to everyone involved and to Lincoln College for their hospitality."