Image: Unseen Studio on Unsplash.com

While most first-time, first-year students head on over to university halls, which provide the perfect base for meeting friends, some aren’t too keen on that idea because they have to put up with others’ mess and distraction (pranks, spur-of-the-moment competitions, or watching movies together) comes easily. The list of available options goes on, and choosing where you’re going to live is one of the most exciting and important decisions you’ll make at university.

Renting a nice private flat can save you a lot of money if you’re lucky enough to find a good one that’s not too expensive, and keep in mind that full-time students don’t have to pay council tax, but you must let the authorities know about your situation to avoid receiving a bill you weren’t expecting. You’ll be further from campus; even so, good transport links and many shops, bars, and food outlets serve popular student areas.

If you want your own living space outside the realms of university, don’t just settle for a bedroom with a bathroom when you deserve the best. It’s your chance to make an informed decision and avoid staying in a place you resent when you can have a home sweet home. Research your options carefully and look for secure, well-maintained, and comfortable accommodation.

This List Will Help You Know What to Look Out for And Prepare to Find Your Ideal Student Home

Living in a privately rented property is a tempting option because you decide where you want to live and with whom – you’re the boss here, so you get to call the shorts. Finding a roommate can be challenging if you haven’t moved to university yet, but your housing office can be of help, matching you up with others and providing information on landlords. Without further ado, to ensure you find the ideal student home, here’s a list of things to consider.

Move Somewhere Quiet So You Can Focus on Studying

Nothing beats having a quiet study space in your chosen student accommodation, even if you can go to the nearest library, which provides a focused environment free from distractions. The persistent little sounds in your home, where you spend time with books and assignments, take cognitive power to suppress, so learning becomes that more difficult. Even if you’re not paying attention to the noise, it’s having an effect on you on many levels, one of which is your ability to think.

Think about it: do you want to live centrally or in a quieter spot away from the hustle and bustle? When you finish classes, you have peace of mind knowing that you don’t have to find a café for your study group or search for a quiet spot at the library (you can’t just ignore the whispers). Look into student housing options that feature study areas like lounges or nooks to focus on your uni work.

Review All the Images/Videos of The Room and The Building in Detail

It’s not a good idea to rent a flat you didn’t tour in person first because it might have issues, like cracked walls or leaky faucets, and there’s a fair number of scammers taking advantage of students in your position. More often than not, online listings and photos fall short of providing a full picture of the situation, so you have no clue what it’s like. Take your time and don’t rush the process; as long as you haven’t left it until the last minute, there’s no need to panic.

Everyone has unique preferences when it comes to living spaces. Maybe you like to cook your own meals because it’s cheaper, healthier, and wins your friends over, not to mention the food tastes a lot better than take-out. In that case, the kitchen should include amenities like an island for meal prep or casual dining and energy-efficient appliances that lower your carbon footprint. Cooking is much simpler and easier when you have a kitchen that’s current, sleek, yet not sterile.

If it’s very difficult for you to view the property due to the distance involved, you’ll be happy to know that many accommodation providers now offer virtual tours, so you can get a genuine feel of the space before committing to a lease. Not all videos are made equally, which means some are short on useful information, showing footage of a hallway or other common areas, while others zoom in on certain features without showing the entire room. At times, you must take a leap of faith and throw yourself into the unknown.

Before Signing the Contract, Understand Your Rights and Obligations

Make sure to read and understand the contract and all its clauses, and be aware of your rights as a tenant, which can’t be overwritten by the agreement. If the landlord doesn’t allow you to take a copy to check out the contract, don’t even think about signing it. Student accommodation contracts are for a fixed period of time – in most cases, the term is the academic year – and if for some reason you want to move out, you can end the agreement only if there’s a break clause or the landlord surrenders the lease.

It’s better to be safe than sorry, so know if you have to pay a deposit before you move in or what happens if you don’t get accepted into university because anything could happen. Speaking of which, it’s reasonable for the landlord to take money off the deposit to cover damage to the property or outstanding rent you own, but that doesn’t mean it’s always best. It’s recommended that you read the small print of the tenancy agreement.

Wrapping It Up

All in all, if you’ve decided to study locally, living at home can drastically cut your costs, and it’s the only choice that doesn’t involve packing up all your stuff, which is never really fun, although it leads to a positive outcome. But you’ll have less freedom when living with your parents, and it’s hard to make friends when you’re miles away, so you’ll have to make more effort to socialise.