Image: Wiredsmartio on Pixabay.com

Moving into your college accommodation is one of those days you’ll never forget. And unlike most UK undergrads, you get to stay in your college digs for your whole degree. Your new room will be your haven from everyone and everything. It might have been recently decorated, and at least cleaned to a very high standard. But it probably won’t be perfect. Many rooms at Cambridge are super old. No doubt a generation (or five) of past students have lived in your room before you. Each one will have left its mark.

So however much of a blank canvas it is, the room might have a few tell-tale signs of past inhabitants that will bug the hell out of you. Not only that, but you’ll want to make it your own within the limitations of your college’s rules. Furthermore, you may encounter small DIY or repair jobs along the way, that you can perfectly do yourself once you know how.

So, what are the most basic DIY and decor tips you need to know? Getting rid of stains, removing old glue, and filling holes in the wall to name a few. Knowing how to sort basic DIY jobs is one of your first steps to true independence.

Glue Removal

Past students might have used glue for all sorts of things but when traces are left on furniture, walls, skirting, and doors it’s unsightly and a real pain to remove. Luckily there is a solution, even for the hardest of super glues and epoxies. Sometimes all you’ll need is a bit of sandpaper!

Holes in the walls

Unless your halls have been completely refitted or renovated over the summer, there are likely to be a few pin holes left in the walls. The students who put these holes may have even contravened the rules and more annoyingly for you, have left them behind for you to look at. Just buy some premixed filler, a bit of sandpaper, and a tester pot of paint that matches the walls (usually white). Fill the hole, scrap it flat, and leave it to dry. Then sandpaper it until it’s smooth and paint over it. Voila, hole-free walls.

Putting furniture together

Depending on the rules of your college, you may be able to buy some of your own small pieces of furniture. To make sure you can put these together with ease you normally need a few tools to help along the way. Most students should have a small tool kit with just the basics which can help with every eventually.

Basic tool list

• Bike multitool (good for bike AND for DIY)
  • Multi-head screwdriver
  • Small hammer
  • Sandpaper
  • Plunger
  • Bicarbonate of soda, sponges, and washing up liquid for dealing with stains

Drain unblocking

For any serious blockages, always call your onsite manager or porter. But for small blockages, try and clear them yourselves with a plunger. This handy bit of kit may well help you save face.

Cleaning Stains

If you cause a stain in the carpet (or maybe there is already one there), try your best to deal with it asap. The faster you work, the more likely it will come up. Always dab as much as possible first and avoid rubbing it further into the carpet. The way you then approach each stain depends on what it contains. Where possible use eco-friendly cleaning products.

Once you’ve dealt with simple jobs you can do yourself you can start to make the room your own. Remember to always check the guidelines for your college accommodation as to what you can and can’t do with the room. And don’t try to tackle any big or dangerous jobs, this includes anything electrical and most plumbing issues. For anything like this, contact the maintenance desk or speak to your porter.