Image: Jo Johnston on Pixabay.com

Working with another company requires a lot of trust. So before you choose an organization to do business with, checking credibility is crucial. There are so many businesses out there and not all are trustworthy. Not carrying out research can lead to disastrous results such as significant losses or tarnishing your brand image. Also, you risk putting business and customer data at risk by working with the wrong partner.

Any business partner you pick should comply with regulations in the UK. All companies are required to register before providing services to customers. Otherwise, you risk closure. So how can you know whether an organization is legit or not? Let’s find out how to check if a company is legally registered in the UK according to The Hoxton Mix.

Confirm details

The first way to determine if a company is legitimate is by looking at various details. These include:

• Physics address
  • Website
  • Contact form

These all provide an idea of whether the business exists or not. Start by looking for the address. You can check on the website to see the address. The address should be easy to find. It is usually on the Contact Us or About Us page. Failure to find the location should be seen as an alarm. If you find it, make sure you confirm the location. That is because some companies may register using a fake address.

You can search through Google Maps or call the company directly. An employee should pick up and provide additional details. If no one answers it should be seen as suspicious.

Investigate the website

A website can reveal so many things about a company. Some things that will provide a hint on the credibility include:

• Address
  • Contact number
  • Domain
  • Registration number
  • History
  • Privacy policy
  • Exchange policy
  • Social media presence

Domain name

The domain name is important because it is usually used as a scam. For instance, the website may have a name that doesn’t match what the company does. This is a red flag. Also, avoid any domain that ends with org or net. Most retailers don’t use these endings.

Social media presence

A social media presence says a lot about a company. Most want to have social media platforms as they are great ways of creating brand awareness and attracting more customers. So if a business doesn’t have a social media presence you should remain cautious.

Analyse security measures

To maximize security, many trustworthy websites use data encryption. The easiest way to see this is by looking at the URL. Safe websites have a padlock sign, indicating security. So when making payments, you are guaranteed that no one will hack your account.

While this sign may show that a site is secure, cyber attacks can occur. So the company should have other cyber security measures such as:

• Regular security checks
  • SSL certificates
  • Multi-factor authentication
  • Security audits

Verify modes of payment

One of the ways companies may scan customers is through payments. So check the payment options being offered. Modes of payment that should raise suspicion include:

• Cryptocurrency
  • Bank transfers
  • Wire transfers

The main reason is that it is difficult to recover your money in case of fraud. The best way to remain protected is by paying through a credit card. This provides a bank with transaction details that may be easier to trace. Banks can also keep your details safe.

Check registration

If you want to know how you can check if a company is legally registered in the UK then look for local registers. There are many options as this may be different depending on the niche. Some places to look include:

The Financial Conduct Authority lists all companies within this niche. If the organization you want to work with deals with finances then it should be listed in this register. If you fail to find it then it may be an illegal business.

Make sure you counter-check all companies even if they have registration numbers as some may be fake. Companies House is another great source of information. It lists all businesses that are legally registered in the UK.

Check reviews

If you want to know how to check if a company is officially registered in the UK, then public opinion is important. Every business should have customer feedback. This helps other people understand the kind of experience that others have had in the past. Most people tend to rely on reviews before buying products. So any business looking to make profits has to take advantage of this.

Review sources

When looking at reviews be careful as some may be fake. Companies may try to manipulate reviews so it is advisable to search for opinions from reliable sources. Trust reviews that are from legit sites such as:

• Google Reviews
  • Checkatrade
  • Techradar
  • Expert reviews

Make sure to take the reviews in context. This applies to both positive and negative feedback. Also, try to dig deeper into the negative reviews as there may be something worse happening.

Look for trust marks

Be cautious when viewing trust marks. Some may not be legit. Remember to use the ones that are recommended for companies in the UK. The easiest way to verify this is by calling the company that provides trust marks. They should provide information on whether a business is truly trustworthy or not.

Final thoughts

Checking the credibility of a business is important. It helps you prevent losses and any legal fines for breaking laws. So you need to know how to check if a company is legally registered in the UK. First start by looking for the details. Look at the address and make sure it exists. Those with a registered office are more trustworthy.

Then examine the domain which provides information on whether the business is legit or not. It will be easier to spot scammers by simply looking at the domain. Other important things to look for include customer reviews and social media profiles. These few tips will help you avoid any scandals or legal fines with local regulatory boards.