Image: maxopt on Unsplash.com

It was a disappointing week for the Premier League. The two clubs from England in the Premier League lost their quarterfinal draw, and now, the semifinals will comprise two clubs from the Bundesliga, one from Ligue 1 and one from La Liga.

These two losses aren’t very pleasant in a season where the fans were excited to buy Champions League final tickets for Wembley.

In the buildup to the Champions League final, pundits and commentators were all hyping Manchester City to make it to the final. But the Real Madrid win at the Etihad on penalties removed all of this hope.

Arsenal also had to face a tough battle against Bayern Munich, eventually losing out in their first season back. Arsenal fans were quite hyped that they would finally be able to buy Champions League final tickets, but their hopes were shattered.

As the dust settles, the spotlight now shifts to Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, and PSG. These teams, undeterred by the upsets, are now more determined than ever to claim the silverware.

Here’s how the supercomputer brings out the chances of a possible UEFA Champions League winner in 2024.

Statistical Chances to Win the UEFA Champions Leauge

Despite backing Manchester City as the favorites to win the Champions League earlier this week, the supercomputer now gives them a zero percent chance of retaining the trophy.

Some pundits have expressed dismay that Opta’s predictive model has been “changing its mind” about the Premier League title race depending on the results.

But there is no escaping from the fact that City were favorites, and their penalty-shootout defeat to Real Madrid has thrown the competition wide open.

Madrid is now the tournament favorite, having held out against City at the Etihad despite facing 33 shots and defending 18 corners. They had gone ahead through Rodrygo early in the first half and led until the 76th minute, but Kevin De Bruyne struck an equalizer to send the game to extra-time.

Andriy Lunin was the hero in the shootout, though, putting Madrid into the semifinals again.

With City out of the picture, Madrid win the Champions League in 39.3% of the supercomputer’s simulations. If they are to win it, they will have to get past another European heavyweight in the semifinals.

Bayern Munich stood in their way after the Germans saw off Arsenal in their quarterfinal. A Joshua Kimmich goal earned a 1-0 win over Mikel Arteta’s side at the Allianz Arena.

Bayern have already lost out in the Bundesliga title race, and they expected them to beat a resurgent Arsenal.

Still, they overcame the odds with a resolute defensive performance in Munich. They are now given a 16.9% chance of ending the season with some silverware by winning the Champions League.

Real are big favourites for their semifinal tie, though. The Spanish giants reached the final in 66.3% of the supercomputer’s simulations.

The other semifinal will be contested by Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund, who overturned first-leg deficits to Spanish teams to reach the last four.

PSG roared back from a goal down on the night and two down on aggregate following Ronald Araujo’s red card to thrash Barcelona 4-1 and storm into the semis.

They are now second-favourites to win the Champions League this season and end their wait for European glory on the grandest stage. They win it in 27.4% of the supercomputer’s simulations.

They face a semifinal against Dortmund, having faced off in the group stage earlier this season. PSG won 2-0 at home before the sides played out a 1-1 draw on MD 6 that saw both progress to the knockout stages.

Those results and PSG’s superior position in the Opta Power Rankings will give the French side a 59.6% chance of making the final.

Dortmund, meanwhile, are the outsiders to win the competition, given a 16.4% chance of Champions League glory.

PSG’s Mbappe Wants to Win the Title

Paris Saint-Germain’s Kylian Mbappé said that helping his hometown club finally win their first Champions League title is a matter of pride for him. He scored twice to help guide his side to a 4-1 comeback win at Barcelona and into the semifinals with a 6-4 aggregate victory on Tuesday.

In what is probably his last season at the club, he is bringing new hope to the Parisian side, which is desperately looking for its first European silverware in club history. The side made it to the finals on one occasion, as PSG fans had the luxury of buying Champions League final tickets, but it could not go the full distance.

This time, there is hope.

Mbappé, who is set to leave PSG in the summer with Real Madrid as the biggest favorite to sign him, told reporters that his future is not on his mind and that his focus is on bringing glory to the French capital.

“I dream of winning the Champions League for Paris,” Mbappé told reporters at the Barcelona Olympic stadium on Tuesday. “I’m proud to be at PSG since the first day. It’s not because there are good times and bad times that my pride takes a hit. The pride of playing for this club and representing the club of my country’s capital is something special for me, who grew up there.

“To experience an evening like this one as a Parisian, it’s great. We have one more step to go before reaching the final in Wembley, so we must stay calm.”

After losing 3-2 in the first leg in Paris, PSG fought back down 1-0 at Barcelona after the locals went down to 10 men just before the half-hour as the last man, Ronald Araújo, was red-carded for fouling Bradley Barcola.

Former Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembélé equalized for the visitors just before the break, while Vitinha and Mbappe finished the job in the second half. PSG is set to face Borussia Dortmund in the semifinals after the Bundesliga side beat Atletico Madrid.

Meanwhile, Luis Enrique was of praise for Mbappe.

“Mbappé undisputable leader of team today. Look at the pressure on all the team,” Luis Enrique said after the match. “Kylian, Ous, and Brad … chapeau … that is what we all have. When Kylian is capable of that, we will be much better.