Image: Abogawat & OpenClipart-Vectors on Pixabay.com

Greece and Turkey have emerged as the top choices for British travellers
this year, surpassing pre-pandemic flight levels. With Greece holding
the second spot in the ranking of preferred destinations, the allure
of all-inclusive packages in south-eastern European locations has
been a significant driving force.

Greece and Turkey: Top Choices for British Travellers

Greece and Turkey have emerged as the top choices for British travellers this year, surpassing pre-pandemic flight levels. With Greece holding the second spot in the ranking of preferred destinations, the allure of all-inclusive packages in south-eastern European locations has been a significant driving force.

Anticipating the Biggest Travel Movement

Britons are gearing up for what is expected to be the largest travel movement since the pandemic began. Greece and Turkey are the initial destinations of choice, witnessing a remarkable increase in bookings compared to pre-pandemic levels.

According to a study by the aviation sector company Cirium, flights to Greece and Turkey have surged by one-third compared to 2019. This summer, more than 8,600 flights are scheduled for August, indicating a strong desire to explore these captivating countries once more.

While France, Spain, and Italy remain among the preferred choices for British tourists, their popularity appears to have stagnated or slightly declined compared to the pre-pandemic period. On the other hand, Greece has managed to secure its position as a highly sought-after destination for British travellers, ranking second in the increase of British departures compared to August 2019.

“British people are looking for all-inclusive packages so that they can ‘control’ their wallet” aptly captures the main reason behind the shift in travel preferences the travel experts of rental agency kinglikeconcierge.com. “All-inclusive packages are perceived as cost-effective, particularly in the south-eastern European destinations.”

The favorable exchange rate between the British pound and the Turkish pound has further incentivized British tourists to choose Turkey as their holiday destination. This parity has played a significant role in attracting travellers to explore the diverse cultural and historical wonders that Turkey has to offer.

However, it is essential to note that even in more affordable destinations, recent figures from TUI’s British subsidiary, TravelSupermarket, have shown a notable 12% increase in package tour prices within a single year. Greece and Turkey have experienced this inflationary pressure, impacting travel costs.

Eduardo Santander, CEO of the European Tourism Commission (ETC), emphasized that this summer, travellers, especially the British, are being more mindful of their expenses while choosing their holiday destinations. The persistent inflation and the steep increase in interest rates have placed additional financial pressure on the daily lives of the British population.

Richard Soffer, the commercial director of TUI’s British branch, highlighted that despite a strong start to the year, the rate of bookings began to decline in June, coinciding with the period when interest rates continued to rise, impacting travel decisions.

Greece and Turkey have captured the hearts of British travelers this year, with an increase in flight bookings compared to pre-pandemic levels. The allure of all-inclusive packages and the favorable exchange rate have been significant driving factors. However, financial considerations remain at the forefront of travelers’ minds as they plan their summer getaways.