John Finnemore read English at Peterhouse College, matriculating in 1997. In his final year he was Vice President of the Footlights, and went on to contribute to BBC4 radio shows Dead Ringers and Safety Catch. Finnemore writes and performs in the comedy Cabin Pressure, has appeared on Radio 4’s The Now Show and is co-writer of David Mitchell’s Soap Box. His radio sketch show John Finnemore’s Souvenir Programme aired on Radio 4 in September.
What’s the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to you?
“I don’t think anyone noticed.”
Worst public moment?
6th birthday. Sooty brought me up on stage. Sooty’s handler asked me a question. I took too long to answer. Sooty pretended to fall asleep. Theatre full of children laughed at me. One day, when he least expects it, I shall be revenged upon that bear...
Magic power of choice?
To invite you to take a card, any card, and be able to tell you what it was.
What’s the last thing you saw?
Fake answer: Juno and the Paycock at the Lyttelton. Real answer: Two episodes of Modern Family, and half a Porridge.
What are you reading?
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders. Really good.
Favourite Cambridge haunt?
Summer: outside The Mill. Winter: inside The Maypole.
Fondest memory of studenthood?
Some of the Footlights Smokers I did. But see also: ‘Most excruciating memory of studenthood?’ - Others of the Footlights smokers I did.
Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Peter Cook, Eric Morecambe, and the three of my friends who would 1) most like to be there and 2) know to shut up and listen. (Oh, and, I don’t know, a pie.)
What has eight legs and one eye? Two chairs and half of Sooty’s head.
- Comment / The Labour Party is doomed unless Corbyn resigns17 February 2017
- Editor's pickNews / Exclusive: Fashion show headliner defended by BME campaign and FLY17 February 2017
- Comment / Ronald Coyne does not represent us all17 February 2017
- Fashion / The highs and lows of CUCFS 201717 February 2017
- Sport / Monchi: ‘This business isn’t about selling players, it’s getting results.’23 December 2016
- Sport / Construction set to begin on Cambridge ice rink21 February 2017
- Editor's pickTheatre / Revealed: Downing’s A Festival of New Writing Student Shortlist21 February 2017
- Editor's pickCulture / Vulture talks to Cambridge Shorts21 February 2017
- Features / Clutter, culture and consumerism: why we have so much stuff21 February 2017
- Editor's pickSport / It’s time to introduce a Six Nations relegation play-off21 February 2017