Cambridge students are still occupying the Old Schools in protest against Higher Education cuts.
VarsiTV followed events as they unfolded on the first day of the occupation.
At 11am a small group of students entered the Senior Combination Room of the Old Schools. A faceoff with the Proctors at around lunchtime signalled the beginning of the inevitable struggles between the University and the protestors that will no doubt continue over the next few days.
The University authorities' attempts to force the protestors to read an official letter that would have obliged them to leave failed, after organisers did everything they could to avoid a repeat of the collapse of the Oxford occupation, where protesters were evicted on Thursday night.
As the occupation settles in for the night, many are awaiting the list of the students' demands that will need to be communicated to the University tomorrow.
- Film & TV / Review and Response: Pain and self-loathing down in ‘Manchester by the Sea’21 January 2017
- News / Viral video featuring racial slurs linked to Cambridge student20 January 2017
- News / University considering major overhaul of BA degree classifications20 January 2017
- Comment / BuzzFeed has played Trump’s game – and lost 20 January 2017
- Editor's pickNews / Lettuce Club Annual General Meeting – As It Happened23 January 2017
- Editor's pickSport / Charlie Amesbury named CURUFC Captain24 January 2017
- Comment / Mainstream media has failed. We’re in a new age of news24 January 2017
- Sport / World Rugby’s ‘new tougher approach’ won’t do enough to protect players24 January 2017
- News / Warnings of flasher in the Sidgwick Avenue area24 January 2017
- Culture / Bedroom Art: an introduction24 January 2017