Cambridge students are still occupying the Old Schools in protest against Higher Education cuts.
VarsiTV followed events as they unfolded on the first day of the occupation.
At 11am a small group of students entered the Senior Combination Room of the Old Schools. A faceoff with the Proctors at around lunchtime signalled the beginning of the inevitable struggles between the University and the protestors that will no doubt continue over the next few days.
The University authorities' attempts to force the protestors to read an official letter that would have obliged them to leave failed, after organisers did everything they could to avoid a repeat of the collapse of the Oxford occupation, where protesters were evicted on Thursday night.
As the occupation settles in for the night, many are awaiting the list of the students' demands that will need to be communicated to the University tomorrow.
- Editor's pickNews / Cambridge votes to stay in NUS27 May 2016
- Features / EXCLUSIVE: Trinity May Ball headliners announced30 May 2016
- Features / EXCLUSIVE: Jesus May Ball – DJ Set announcement30 May 2016
- Comment / Lower offers to students from disadvantaged backgrounds: a solution to Oxbridge elitism?30 May 2016
- Reviews / Album: Bob Dylan – Fallen Angels29 May 2016
- Editor's pickNews / Police issue warning after nitrous oxide stolen from Vet School31 May 2016
- News / Cambridge academics express “grave concern” over leaving EU31 May 2016
- News / Stephen Hawking condemns Brexit and Trump31 May 2016
- Reviews / Screen Gazing: Week 531 May 2016
- Culture / A queerer perspective: an ode to Grayson Perry31 May 2016