Mathias Gjesdal Hammer
This is a series of photographs I took of a group of fishermen in Andenes. I went out with the fishermen at about 5am and didn’t return to land until 7 or 8 in the evening. The captain, Sigve Larsen, first went out to sea in the 1970s, and slowly worked his way up the ranks until he could afford his own boat. These photos are taken on 35mm film, which was quite a challenge because in early January the sun has only just returned, so there are only a few hours of daylight.
Due to the number of high quality submissions, Varsity and PhoCUS decided to single out some more submissions for commendation.
PhoCUS are currently taking submissions for their magazine, six seven
- Editor's pickNews / Professor Brendan Simms: ‘The US will survive Trump: my anxiety is that we won’t’28 March 2017
- Violet / If Crushbridge be the food of love, play on27 March 2017
- News / Cambridge University receives £5m donation to fight Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s 27 March 2017
- Music / Review: Rick Ross – Rather You Than Me28 March 2017
- Editor's pickFilm & TV / Review: We need to talk about ‘Elle’28 March 2017
- Sport / Who will make the cut? Looking ahead to the Lions tour29 March 2017
- News / Vice-Chancellor repeats calls for EU migrant protections in Article 50 statement29 March 2017
- News / University urged to ‘make clear its relationship’ with ‘pro-Assad’ conference29 March 2017
- Film & TV / Review: Can ‘Beauty and the Beast’ last forever?29 March 2017
- Culture / Review: Madonnas and Miracles29 March 2017