Image: Tzenik on Unsplash.com

Gambling used to be restricted to the racetrack, bookies or the city casino. However, technology has made it accessible from computers and our mobile devices, which go everywhere with us. It means that we can check point spreads, analysis, tips and the score wherever we go.

In recent years, it has meant that gambling has become a part of campus life. As with all fast-paced technological changes, we’re not always well-placed or quick enough to adapt. Is there a way to integrate online gambling into the student lifestyle in a way that can be fun and not detrimental? Let’s find out.

Free Time and an Entertainment Budget

Since the legal gambling age in the UK is 18, many first-time gamblers could be visiting a casino or a sportsbook as a student. It’s an important coming of age period, living away from home. Students are making decisions about what to eat, their studies, future careers and looking after themselves for the first time.

The period might involve experimenting with the more adult attractions, which can include gambling. Testing limits and growing up is what the non-academic side of university is all about. However, what obligation do institutions have to create a safe space for this process?

While most universities have policies on several aspects of student behavior, gambling isn’t a common subject. However, it might be time for a change. Students are well-positioned to explore sports betting and casino apps as they have more free time, and many have an entertainment budget that could be spent on wagers.

Gambling Policies

In moderation, we can enjoy all of the good things in life. When gambling is fun and casual, it can be a great source of entertainment. It works best when we understand its place within society.

As a microcosm of the outside world, campuses need to adapt to create a safe place for gambling. By giving it appropriate limits and status, problem behavior will be much easier to spot by those at risk and people around that person. 

A student gambling policy that sets boundaries is useful. It can help students strike the right balance between studying and fun, and prevent issues before they progress to a gambling problem.

Support and Awareness

Several universities in the US have actively promoted gambling to students. Whether you agree or disagree with the approach, it has triggered a beneficial discussion around campus life and betting.

Ignoring the matter won’t make it go away, as students are already playing poker games, checking odds and looking for tips on upcoming matches. It has brought into focus a need for clearer policies on advertising and student conduct. 

While students are at the center of the concerns raised, there’s an opportunity for colleges and universities to step up. A reevaluation of student services is an excellent place to start. Programmes for awareness can help students create appropriate boundaries around casinos and sports betting.

Knowing the signs of gambling problems and when to stop can make a huge impact. However, it might also be necessary for gambling support services to have links to or even a home on student campuses. The right advice at the crucial moment can prevent students from experiencing the worst consequences of gambling.

Bottom Line

Online gambling already has a place on campus. Pretending it isn’t a part of student life won’t help create healthy boundaries around the subject. On the other hand, giving casinos and sports betting sites their proper place with appropriate guidance can be another useful teaching moment for growing responsible adults.

Please gamble responsibly.