Markus Spiske on Unsplash

Ever since Edward Snowden leaked confidential government information about online espionage, the extent as to which our government bodies spy on our online activity has been known around the world.

With that being said, it’s now more important than ever before for internet users to proactively protect themselves while online.

But, with the ever-growing number of cyber threats out there, some people may be struggling to understand where to even start.

Maybe you’ve recently had one of your social media accounts hacked. Or maybe, you’re sick of seeing eerily specific online ads targeting you on every website you visit. Or maybe, you’ve just finally decided to come to terms with the fact that your online security could be at risk.

Regardless, protecting your personal safety and online privacy might seem like somewhat of an overwhelming task. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be complicated at all.

What Can You Do to Protect Your Online Privacy?

After reading about some of the latest threats to online security, you might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by the severity of the attacks.

But, don’t worry. There are plenty of steps you can take to protect yourself online, and fortunately, many of the following tips aren’t very difficult to implement. Just remember to always keep in mind that putting in a few extra minutes of effort now, could easily save you from a major disaster later on down the road.

Below, we’re going to take a look at some of the most important steps you can take to protect your online privacy in 2019.

Create Strong, Secure Passwords

One of the easiest, yet most effective steps you can take to protect your online privacy is to always use strong, complex passwords to secure your accounts.

You’ve probably heard this a thousand times before, however, re-using the same password for multiple accounts makes it extremely easy for cybercriminals to not only access one of your accounts but all of them that use that same password.

But while most people have heard this before, a recent study, Psychology of Passwords, showed that most people still use the same passwords across several of their accounts.

Only Use Secure Payment Methods

Online shopping is great, but when you make a payment electronically, you can leave yourself vulnerable to credit card fraud if you aren’t using a secure payment method for the transaction.

We all know that we should only ever be providing payment information to secure sites, but that on its own can’t guarantee your information will be protected.

So, if you want to be extra cautious, or if you simply want your transactions to be anonymous, you might want to consider making anonymous online purchases by using digital currencies such as Bitcoin.

Using PayPal is another option that can provide you with a safe and secure payment method. PayPal isn’t an anonymous payment service; however, the company has many rigid security measures in place to prevent payment fraud.

Below, we’ll take a look at a few different tools you can use to help protect your online privacy.

VPNs

If you want the single, best way to take a comprehensive approach towards online security, you should consider using a high-quality VPN service.

NordVPN is one of the most reliable and most popular VPN services out there. Its sheer volume of users attests to the fact that the service is trustworthy and worth adding to your arsenal of online privacy protection. Click here for a full review.

VPNs are extremely easy to set up and are capable of providing internet users with some of the best forms of online protection, including encryption and IP masking. VPNs combine several layers of data protection, which ensures that your internet connection is always kept safe, anonymous, and completely private.

Furthermore, VPNs protect your connection from data breaches before they happen, by making it impossible for cybercriminals to see your online activity.

Browse Via the TOR Network

Another extremely popular method for achieving online privacy is to browse the internet by using the TOR network. When compared to VPNs, there are both advantages and disadvantages to using TOR

When connected to the TOR network, your online activities will be kept completely anonymous, meaning that none of your data can be traced back to your IP address.

This is achieved because TOR encrypts all user data, including IP addresses, multiple times before directing the connection through to a randomised series of nodes. These nodes are maintained by volunteers who are also incapable of viewing any online activity.

There are several ways that you can connect to the TOR network; however, the simplest is to download to TOR browser and install it on your computer or device. Once installed, TOR functions just like any other web browser, with the main difference being that your data is being kept completely anonymous.