Image: Attentie Attentie on Unsplash

Oleksandr Usyk’s last month victory over Anthony Joshua for all four major heavyweight belts (WBA, WBO, IBF & IBO) hardly came as a surprise as the referee had no doubts about handing the win to the Ukrainian, though with a small margin on points (641 vs 529).

In September, Usyk dominated the former four-belt holder over 12 rounds. But for the rematch clause in the contract, the Ukrainian would have to decide whether the second fight will happen. In 2018, Usyk beat Murat Gassiev in a similar fashion in the World Super Series finals, but his rematch against the Russian is yet to be announced.

Usyk vs Joshua rematch hangs in balance?

Promoters are expected to struggle in organizing the mega event in March, though, mainly due to weather conditions. However, the Ukrainian is no stranger to winning on foreign soil. No matter the place, the 34-year-old is confident in retaining his belts, and after that, he may think about uniting the titles.

Only the WBC belt separates Usyk from the outright heavyweight boxing world champion, which currently belongs to Tyson Fury. That said, Deontay Wilder will be looking to reclaim it in his third fight against the American, scheduled to take place on October 10. 

Rematch likely to be held outside Ukraine

According to Sport.ua, a rematch between Usyk and Joshua will take place, with both being short on time to get into shape, as it is expected to occur in February or March 2022.

After beating Joshua at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Usyk took revenge on the British for Wladimir Klitschko’s loss (2017) and returned the titles back to Ukraine. And now Oleksandr wants the Klitschko brothers’ cherished dream of holding a champions’ fight in their homeland to materialize.

“Battle of century”: Usyk’s team expect unification 

“Of course, Usyk wants to face the winner and get the last belt. I have a feeling that Tyson Fury will not succeed in this fight. A wilder one will win. And we will all have faith that Usyk will make a unification fight in the future. We’ll work to make the fight of the century happen,”

Usyk’s promoter Alexander Krasiuk told the presser.

Widely regarded as one of the most confident personalities in the sport, Usyk appears to not care about his opponents too much. The undefeated Ukrainian has gone down in the history books, and is literally on the verge of reaching the highest feat in professional boxing.

Please gamble responsibly.