Image: Shvets on Pexels

It’s no secret that people are always trying to find the next big thing in weight loss. The market is flooded with supplements, diets, and workouts promising quick results or permanent weight loss for a price. However, most of these products end up failing because they don’t address the root cause: Your diet and lifestyle.

This article will teach you about the different types of bellies and why it is important to lose this fat.

What Are The Two Types of Belly Fat?

Visceral Fat

This is a type of belly fat you can’t see under your skin. It acts like a barrier around all of your internal organs and causes disease in these areas when it is in excess. Visceral fat is connected to many serious diseases such as cancer, Type 2 Diabetes, and heart disease.

Subcutaneous Fat

This is the second type of belly fat and is just below your skin. This fat can be seen in rolls around your stomach when you bend over or lie down. However, it’s not nearly as bad as visceral fat because it doesn’t cause systemic issues or corrode insides like visceral fat does.

Why Is Excess Belly Fat Harmful?

An excess amount of belly fat can lead to multiple levels of dangerous health problems. When you have more visceral belly fat than subcutaneous, that is when your health begins to suffer.

The fat cells become inflamed and produce hormones that lead to multiple health issues. These include heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, fatty liver disease, hypertension, strokes, Alzheimer’s Disease and so on.

How To Lose Belly Fat?

Cut Out Sugary Beverages

Drinking sugar filled beverages are one of the easiest ways to add calories in your diet so cut them out! Replace these drinks with healthier alternatives such as unsweetened teas and water.

Be More Physically Active

Start moving around your daily routine. Park farther away in the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and add more activity to your day such as gardening or taking a walk after dinner.

Increase Fiber Intake

Fibrous foods such as vegetables and whole grains help fill you up so it’s easier to lose weight! Keeping yourself full is crucial to losing belly fat and keeping it off. That’s because when you’re hungry, you’re more likely to make poor food choices and eat unnecessary calories.

Limit Alcohol Use

Drinking alcohol can lead to extra calories that we don’t need. Many people who drink do not consider alcoholic beverages as part of their calorie intake.

Limit Processed Foods

Processed foods are packed with chemicals and refined sugars that lead to more belly fat. Limit these types of food to keep your metabolism running high.

Get Enough Sleep

Getting enough sleep is critical for weight loss because it assists your body in releasing hormones that help you burn fat instead of storing it. For every hour of sleep lost, there was a 50% increase in ghrelin, which tells our brain we’re hungry. Make sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep each night.

Image: Julia Larson On Pexels

The Bottom Line

An excess amount of belly fat can lead to multiple levels of dangerous health problems. If you want to lose your belly fat, focus on your diet and exercise routine. It’s not an easy task but if you stick to it, you will see results.

DISCLAIMER: This article is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional advice or help and should not be relied on to make decisions of any kind. Any action you take upon the information presented in this article is strictly at your own risk and responsibility!