Slot machines are more attractive if they are familiar. In the course of 200 years, people got bored with fruit-themed slots. To increase customer engagement, game developers needed a new strategy, and this strategy involved working with branded materials—movies.

There are hundreds of slot machines based on films. Some have been pulled out already, not because of copyright issues, but because the license has expired, and the movie companies did not wish to renew the contract.

Today, we will take a look at several of the best slot games based on the most famous films.

The Dark Knight

Image: onlineslotsx.com

Directed by Christopher Nolan, the Dark Knight is one of the most acclaimed superhero movies of all time. No one can forget the unparalleled performance of Heath Ledger. The movie grossed over $1 billion worldwide and has received multiple accolades, including a posthumous award for Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker.

The game based on this is a 5-reel slot that has an RTP of 88.97%. The game comes from Microgaming, and it was released four years after the movie. The Dark Knight slot machine has a medium variance, and it offers players 243 bet ways.

Here are the slots main features:

•  Progressive jackpot
  •  Wild
  •  Scatter
  •  Multiplier
  •  Free spins

The wild in the game is the Bat logo, and it appears as a stacked wild. The slot also sports three bonuses which get activated by the Joker Bat scatter symbol. All wins are doubled during the free spins round.

Rocky

Image: onlineslotsx.com

Sylvester Stallone made his way to Hollywood because of his movie, which spawned seven sequels, including Creed 1 and 2. The movie was made with a budget of only $1 million, but it grossed $225 million, making it the top-grossing film of 1976.

The Rocky slot is a 5-reel game that has an RTP of 95.01%. It showcases Rocky and other characters in the game, and players can win on any of the 25 pay lines.

Here are the slot’s features:

•  Wild – Rocky is the wild that pays coins.
  •  Rocky – if you spell out the game title with letter symbols on the slot grid, you win 5x your total bet.
  •  Bonus – land the two gloves on the end reels to activate the bonus round.

The bonus round is called Knock Out bonus. In here, you have to choose Rocky’s opponent, and you will fight that opponent in a 10-round match. For every round where Rocky wins, you get a cash prize.

The slot machine also has free spins, which you can trigger by landing at least three scatter symbols. You could win between 15 and 25 free games.

Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump is a timeless classic—a drama about the life of a boy with marginal intelligence. The movie is based on a book of the same name, and the book was published in 1986. The film was released in 1994 and became the top-grossing film of that year, earning $677 million in box offices worldwide.

In the game, Forrest Gump is a 5-reel slot with 25 pay lines. It has medium volatility and an RTP of 94.38%.

Here are the game’s features:

•  Wild – Gump sitting on a chair is the wild, and he only appears on the middle reels.
  •  Scatter – the scatter is a box of chocolates.
  •  Box of Chocolates – this is a feature that gets triggered after landing the scatter symbol three times.
  •  Run Forrest Run – triggered after landing the football three times.

The slot machine is rendered in cartoon art, not as screenshots of the movie. What’s good about the feature bonuses is that they are mini-games, not free spins.

Scarface

Scarface is a Mafia-themed movie which starred Al Pacino. The film was released in 1983, and it is a remake of the 1932 film of the same name. The story follows the rise of a Cuban refugee in the drug business, who eventually died in a ferocious battle.

The Scarface slot is a 5-reel game that offers 20 bet ways. The slot’s RTP is 96.8%.

Here are the features of the slot:

•  Stacked Wilds – different characters may land on the grid and fill an entire reel; the wild symbols could be Tony Montana, Manny, or Elvira.
  •  Nudge Spins – if you land a stacked wild on the second reel, the wild will nudge to the side, and you will get bonus re-spins until the wild is off the grid.
  •  Free spins – activate the free spins bonus round if you manage to land a stacked wild on the fourth reel.

The slot is made of screenshots from the movie. There is also a bonus round where you get to shoot enemies and in coins, as you hit them.

Nightmare on Elm Street

The last on our list is a horror film released in 1984. In the movie, teenagers’ dreams were invaded by a sinister character—Freddie Krueger. With a budget of $1.8 million, the movie grossed $57 million worldwide. It has spawned several sequels and became part of pop culture until today.

Its slot counterpart is a 5-reel game that has 30 pay lines. The RTP is 94.87%, and players can enjoy the benefits of several features.

These are:

•  Wild – the silhouette of Freddie Krueger is wild; it can expand and cover an entire reel.
  •  Pick me – a feature that gets triggered if two wilds appear; the wilds must be on both the first and last reels.
  •  Free spins – get between 10 and 30 free spins depending on the number of scatter symbol you landed.

This slot also has bonus rounds like Never Sleep Again, which gets triggered by a special symbol.

Summary

If you have been following the trend on slots, you will realise that movie-based slots are usually free. They all have demo versions. Also, they are free slot games with bonus spins.

This is not by accident. What happens is that these games are heavily marketed so the movie could also have an audience, especially if the movie has already been released, and if the producers are releasing lie streaming or DVD copies.

Please gamble responsibly.

Partner links