When it comes to spending time online, it can be one of the most relaxing things that you can do. It tends to cost less than most hobbies, and much of the time, they can be turned into a way to make money too. Having hobbies can give us some creative freedom as well as provide us with some balance in our lives. Almost everything that you can want to do is online too. From watching YouTube tutorials to learning a new language.

Image: Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Here are some of the most rewarding ways to spend time online.

Writing

When once upon a time, you would be more likely to open a notebook and write about your day, now you are more likely to start a whole website to share your interests or expertise. As well as the mental relaxation that comes with writing and sharing, you can earn money from your blog or website. This can happen in a number of ways. From collaborating with companies to creating content, or having content placed on your website. There are many other options too.

Gaming

Online gaming has been around for years. From World of Warcraft to things like LadyLucks UK casino. Most games have mental stimulation, problem-solving, learning and a social aspect too. Which is what makes it so enjoyable. You can create online networks of people. And, you know that you like the same things because you will meet online – all doing what you love. Of course, like with everything you should make sure that your virtual life isn’t taking over your real one. Balance is key.

Learning

Anything you have ever wanted to know will be easy to find online. You can mix up how you choose to learn by watching webinars, gathering reading materials like articles and case studies, and if you choose to, you can pay for a course online too. You can choose something that is related to your work, or you might want to learn something new just for fun.

Graphic Design

While we aren’t all Michela Angelo, we all have a vision and an idea of what it is that we would like to create. That will often be expressed in many ways. When it comes to graphic design, the only real limit is what you can imagine. There are many programmes that you can use to create your works of art. Photoshop is one of the biggest ones that most people will check out first. Here are some great alternatives to Photoshop:

• Affinity Photo
  • Canva
  • Acorn
  • Sketch
  • GIMP
  • Pixlr

There are also many free courses that can help you on your way to becoming a graphic design master. Eventually, the better you get, you can start selling your smaller designs, and build up a portfolio. So not only are you learning a new skill, but you will be earning money from it too. You might like to extend this one into drawing by hand too.

When you spend time online, you can be productive, and make an extra income too. Turning your hobbies into something that you can be paid for is great, but you should still make sure it is something that you can have fun with and unwind.