Image: Patokh Chodiev

Patokh Chodiev, a graduate of the international law faculty of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, is a staunch supporter of the educational methods that are the hallmark of this university. If you pay attention to the list of famous university graduates, it becomes obvious: the education received here definitely contributes to life success and career growth. After all, his graduates become diplomats, scientists, government officials, and businessmen.

Mr. Chodiev notes that the opportunity to study at MGIMO for decades has been the dream of Uzbek boys and girls. In his youth, he fulfilled this dream by going to university, because at that time he was fond of the Japanese language, which was just taught at the Department of Oriental Studies. At the same time, the requirements for students were quite serious. “We knew that MGIMO was one of the best universities, it encouraged us, I wanted to study there, and once I got there I needed to correspond,” recalls Chodiev here.

Acknowledgments MGIMO

Such a high level of training, Patokh Chodiev is sure, is explained by the high qualification of teachers, both theoretical and practical. This, in turn, led to a large number of well-known graduates of the university, including Mr. Chodiev, who not only graduated with honors, but also received, in the future, a doctorate in political sciences. “Most of my classmates took place as politicians, diplomats, businessmen, lawyers,” he notes.

Among the university graduates, one should mention his fellow student, a major Russian entrepreneur Alisher Usmanov, who has an outstanding role in the development of the Russian-language segment of the Internet. Having studied at the international law faculty of the university, Alisher Burkhanovich warmly recalls the years spent here. He notes that representatives of the student Uzbek partnership were positive and optimistic in the forecasts of their future.

The world-famous Russian diplomat Sergey Lavrov put the knowledge and experience gained at MGIMO into the service of state activity. Having served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, as well as Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the UN, Lavrov once graduated from the Faculty of International Relations. At the same time, the diplomat is also known as the author of the institute’s anthem – in his student days he loved to write poetry. His colleague, Vitaly Churkin, studied here, as did Sergei Lavrov, who has the diplomatic rank of Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev also studied at Moscow University. Here he got his Ph.D. in historical sciences and then taught. At the ceremony of awarding the diploma of Honorary Doctor of MGIMO to Aliyev, he assured those present that he would carry the honor with knowledge in his life.

Scholarship programs of the Patokh Chodiev Foundation

Separately, it is necessary to mention the MGIMO Endowment, with which the International Chodiev Foundation, which deals with issues related to the academic implementation and career prospects of university students, closely cooperates.

The Foundation has developed scholarship programs through which students participate in foreign scientific conferences, competitions, and lecture courses. Also, as part of the publishing program, the works of talented students are published and research grants are issued. In addition, the Fund provides them with the opportunity to an internship abroad, mainly in Japan.