Image: Fahed Wassem on Unsplash

The underwear industry has changed dramatically in this age of customer diversity. New brands, “authorized” by Generation Z representatives, pushed their predecessors out of the market, leaving only them. The past ones were unable to defend their antiquated concept of “lingerie for seduction”. Comfort, a wide range of natural colors, adaptability, and environmental friendliness now dominate the day.

Underwear sales now account for 6% of total retail and online women’s clothing sales in the United States and the United Kingdom. At first glance, the share appears to be small, but according to Allied Market Research, the global volume of underwear sales will reach $250 billion by 2022, and this figure appears to be fairly convincing.

Comfort is the most important thing.

Underwear has been moving away from the spectacular but unpleasant styles that were popular in the 1990s for many years, owing to rising customer needs for comfort and usefulness. And COVID-19 has only emphasized the importance and viability of such standards. Home and sportswear, which have grown popular in the age of remote work, do not contribute to the resurrection of “sexy,” and uncomfortable, underwear.

Push-up bras no longer pique the curiosity of many lingerie designers’ who meet local women to collect their reviews and wishes. Now, in new collections comfortable clothing is promary goal of customers. Yes, push-up’s are purchased and worn “for the occasion,” but that is all. As a result, on the night of Valentine’s Day, Victoria’s Secret and Tezenis saw an increase in sales of alluring high-cup lace bras. However, sales of seamless comfort bras in the United States and the United Kingdom have surged by 117% in the last three months.

Consumers’ declining interest has already had an effect on the cost of underwear. The average retail price for the ultra-popular push-up bras in 2020 was $ 31.36 at the time. It is now $ 29.46, while the bralette, a comfy bra without underwire and other elements, has climbed to $ 38.75.

Another unmistakable proof that comfy underwear “reigns” is sales analysis. In the last three months, demand for bralettes and sports bras outpaced the demand for push-ups by 382 percent and 162 percent, respectively, in the United States and the United Kingdom.

This is not to say that flirty, sensual silhouettes are no longer fashionable. Despite the fact that the phrases “seamless” and “smooth” are at the top of the search results, “lace” remains in the top of ranking. However, one does not interfere with the other, and it stands to reason that underwear manufacturers seek out combinations of lace and comfort.

Push-up bras are still popular in the United States and the United Kingdom, although they have been largely superseded by sports bras (2nd place) and the previously mentioned bralettes, which are at the top. And there’s no reason to foresee a sudden shift in this pattern. Essentially, the diversity of underwear models is diminishing, and the number of bra models available in US stores has reduced by 38%. Convenience outweighs the abundance of options and takes precedence.