This coming year could well be a challenge for big tech companies who work in the UK. A raft of regulations are now being aimed at the sector and this is going to have a huge impact on the world as we know it. The UK needs to adjust to any post-Brexit rules that are taking place and this is especially the case when you look at data protection. Firms are now also facing new competition within the UK. The sights are aimed at digital markets right now, but it is also possible for it to turn to local content moderation as well. When you look at the UK proposals, you will soon see that social media platforms are trying to remove any harmful content and they are also trying to level out the playing field between big tech and smaller rivals. This is all going to be done through data sharing and closer scrutiny of both mergers and acquisitions too.

Image: Pexels.com

Competition

The UK government has stated that they are going to create a dedicated team, working within the Competition and Markets Authority, who will endeavor to ensure smaller business and consumers aren’t at a disadvantage. This is going to be known as the Digital Markets Unit. DMU are going to apply a code which companies will have to follow if they have a strategic marketing status. Big tech often have difficult and exclusive guidance and rules which prohibit and complicate smaller businesses or apps growth. This is done purposely, to restrict competition. Deals are also made between Big Tech companies which create a bias, sending consumers towards those involved in the deal and away from others.

There are such regulators in other industries which ensure a fairer and more open market. When you look at the best UK poker sites in the country, you will see that they all follow regulations and strict rules regarding the way that they operate and client protection in general. There is competition, but it is not forcing other companies out of the business and it is not classed as being a strategic marketing status. The rise of Google’s, Facebook’s, and Apple’s services and products have presented an unprecedented challenge to the regulations which manage other businesses, and the UK government are among the first to attempt to tame them.

Filling Gaps in Framework

Provisions are going to try and fill as many gaps as possible in the framework. This is especially the case when you look at how data is shared and exchanged. Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, and Twitter all collect an unfathomable amount of data. Every post, every purchase, every visited website, every search – all this is tracked and modelled to inform marketing habits and the development and creation of services. Also, this data is shared and sold. The new frameworks will look to enforce consumer privacy rights. The UK government wants such practices to be more transparent. They want consumers to know what data is being collected and how it is being used. With this, consumers will be given a choice to permit this, meaning personalised advertising, for instance, will be disabled. There, of course, will be those who still want to use this, and to whom privacy rights aren’t such a major issue. However, it is the granting of a choice which is important.

How successful the government will be in implementing these new regulations is yet to be seen. Big Tech will put up a fight, as they are doing with the United States government who are trying to pass legislation too. This will be a long process.

Please gamble responsibly.