Image: www.woodupp.com

If you are building a new home, there are many decisions to make. One of the most important is choosing the exterior style. If you are designing an acoustic panel then there are even more bonuses to consider!

You can learn how to build your own wooden acoustic panels for a new home and try yourself in the building of the house. This is a great alternative solution for those who want to make their house beautiful and unique at the same time. Acoustic panels are not only beautiful but also provide natural insulation and soundproofing for walls, ceilings, or other surfaces.  Simply put, they provide you with better sound control over your environment. Folks are very much aware of the health hazards these days. You can extend your house with beautiful woodworking making use of acoustic panels. These are not only good for the look of your house but also for soundproofing purposes. Wooden acoustic panels can be installed on walls, ceilings, floors, etc. Of course, they have to be structurally strong so that they do not fall down even if they are made of light materials.

This is not necessary for lighter acoustic panels. But if you are designing heavier panels, then it is important to use stronger wood. The wood used should be a good quality one. Acoustic panels are a stylish way to make a makeover of your home interiors. Moreover, they also reduce the noise from your activities and protect your hearing. There should be enough space between acoustic panels and wall or ceiling to allow passage of sound waves from both sides as well as from top and bottom.  That way, your acoustics will improve and you can enjoy music from other rooms.

Tool and Material Costs for Wooden Acoustic Panels

Wooden acoustic panels are a common form of sound absorption material. They can be made from plywood or particle board, but as the material they are made from is the same for both, this article will only talk about these options in terms of costs.

Plywood is made from wood that has been pressed together to make panels. Some people also like the planned look that plywood gives to their projects, and this is where the hard choice comes in; does it look better with a smooth face or do you want the character of the wood showing through? And this makes it even harder because plywood’s rough edges can be varnished, which will make for a darker, less uniform color. One solution is to buy plywood with a higher density (weight per unit area) than regular (and this is why they cost more, though it’s better for the environment because it uses less packaging), but then you can’t paint or stain them.

The other option is particleboard, which is made from compressed wood chips. This wood comes from tree stumps and branches that are too small to be milled into lumber. It is compressed and glued together with resin and other chemicals, and it comes in different grades of density and hardness. Many people don’t like the look of particleboard because of this, but some manufacturers coat their panels with a thick lacquer so this isn’t as obvious. Another option, if you can afford it, is to buy hardwood particleboard and build with the grain in mind, so that the panels will have a more natural look.

List of Required Tools for Wooden Acoustic Panels

Acoustic panels made using wood and other natural materials are a great alternative to the pure tin and steel construction of traditional paneling. Here is a list of the necessary tools you’ll want beforehand:

* Drill – The best type of drill is an electric one as it’s faster than manual drills. Use a drill bit smaller than what you would use with a screwdriver to avoid splitting the wood.

* Saw – A saw is not necessary, but it will make your life easier and the project faster and less messy. The type of saw you’ll need depends on the type of wood used for the project. Use a sharp blade and be very careful when cutting into the wood to avoid splinters.

* Screwdriver – At least one large and two small screwdrivers will be needed to assemble the panels. You’ll need a Phillips screwdriver for flat screws.

* Wood pencil – A wood pencil is used to draw lines on the wood that were cut with a saw. It creates a guide for where to place other screws, small nails, or even staples.

* Paint – Some people like to paint their panels or stain them at some point, but for this project, only the outer surface needs to be painted. The paint should be of a high-quality color that goes well with the wood.

* Screws and nails – A small number of screws and nails will be needed to place in between the panels. The type of screw depends on the thickness of the wood.

* Glue or epoxy – Wood glue is most commonly used to hold the panels together. However, epoxy is more permanent and can hold up better to heat and humidity.

* Sawdust – Some people prefer to sawdust their own wood for any projects that call for solid wood panels. If you prefer to purchase the wood at the store, Sawdust is available at hardware stores.

* Wooden board – To cover the gaps between panels, use a wooden board. This will make it easier to staple, nail, or screw the panels together. This also covers up any rough places from sawing or cutting from an outside view.