Image: VIenna Reyes on Unsplash

Gambling is one of the greatest sources of entertainment in the world. Betting on sports is one of the most famous forms of gambling which attracts a great number of sports fans. Fans get to prove their knowledge through wagering on sports with the use of their knowledge and analysis about any games or races. There has been an increase in the legalization of more and more sports betting websites. Although betting on athletic competitions is illegal, people still manage to bet on them using bookies. Bookies are those individuals or groups of individuals who can help a person bet on illegal competitions with the use of gambling websites which are legalized in other countries. Betting on horse races is the most common type of sports betting. Other sports which have a good number of fans betting on them are football, rugby, baseball, cricket, boxing, basketball, ice hockey, dog and camel racing.

Betting Types

One of the oldest forms of sports gambling is when the winner used to take home all the outcome of the betting. At present, the most used form of gambling is the odds betting where the casino or the bookie evaluate the players and assess the probability of winning like2 is to 1, 1 is to 4 or 5 is to 1. The system of odds betting is most commonly used in baseball and boxing. For horse, dag and camel races, the pari – mutuel system of betting is used. This system was developed during the year 1875 after the invention of ‘Totalizator ‘by the Frenchman Pierre Oller which was a calculating machine which records the amount bet prior to the start of the game on each competitor. In a horse race, the totalizator calculates the odd bets, depending on the proportion of the total bet placed on each horse, and determines the amount which should be paid to those players who had put their money on the winner. The bookie or track owner takes his or her share by skimming off a percentage of the total amount bet placed by the players.

The games of football, basketball and rugby use the system of point spread for gambling and placing the bets. For example if a person is looking forward to play slots online in Canada, with the system of point spread, the bookie or the casino there would determine a certain pointing system which would be spread among the particular game. A bet on the favored team requires a bettor yield of the point spread whereas a bet on the underdog team would grant a bettor point spread. For instance, the underdog team may be given the bet as +4 which means it would have four points added to its final score for the purpose of determining the winning bettor. A −4 bet on a favored team would win only if the team wins by over four points or four goals.

In today’s world, gambling and sports go side by side due to the excitement of the fans who love to utilize their knowledge in order to make a winning out of their knowledge. Sports gambling can be profitable for the people in the long run only if they give themselves enough time to gain the complete knowledge about the players and the game. Majority of the players go on to lose a large sum just because of their overconfidence which says they know everything about the players and the teams and can make huge sums easily. After losing, people tend to blame the player, teams, coaches and especially their luck but fail to realize that all these factors hardly had anything to do with it.