Image: Jep Gambardella on Pexels.com

In packed classrooms or lecture halls, it is also hard to get the one-to-one support that you need to understand challenging new topics, revise material, and ultimately succeed in securing a good grade. Students can often be afraid of speaking up in front of their peers for fear of being mocked or get worried about slowing other students down.

Leading EdTech company, The Profs, has found that, in the UK’s current education system, it is very easy for a student to feel lost or disillusioned with their studies. The ‘one size fits all’ model often lets down very accomplished students, as well as those that need more assistance. Tutoring from an online platform, like Spires Tutors, however, can be an effective way for students to reignite their passion for learning or enjoy a new challenge.

The Problems with the Traditional System

Students are expected to weather the huge jumps in expectations between different educational levels usually without any additional support in bridging this gap. A-Levels, for example, present far more of a challenge than GCSEs.

Parents, usually, can only support so much with additional learning. They are often limited to the basics of English and Maths for younger year students and can lack current syllabus knowledge or niche learning to help with more advanced, specific qualifications. Parents are also too limited by other time pressures, such as busy careers and other care responsibilities, to devote the time needed to support their children with troublesome subjects.

Tutoring serves a valuable function in overcoming all of these challenges.

The Benefit of Tutoring

Having a dedicated tutor to speak to can dramatically change a student’s outlook. With a private tutor, students can devote as much time as they want to specific problems that they find hard. Individual sessions can make students feel more confident in speaking up when they have a question or haven’t followed an explanation. Teaching staff can change frequently, but a tutor can be employed for the length of time that you need, ensuring consistency and continuity in learning.

Tutoring sessions can be organised to suit students’ schedules and exams, meaning that a considerable amount of stress and time pressure is removed. Lessons can also be ramped up in frequency as there is no set timetable, for example, if a student needs to quickly catch up to their school or university peers. Online tutoring has recently become far more popular, so students now no longer need to invest time in travelling for their education. This flexibility can lead to more effective and efficient learning.

One happy parent who used the services for their child’s tuition said: ‘Each session with your tutor can be orchestrated however you like, and from my son’s experience, he’s had a tutor who was able to adapt the lesson on the fly, tackling the questions in a multitude of ways and in general being very supportive in between tuition hours.’

Top tutoring companies, like Spires & The Profs, have experts that teach a variety of subjects at a variety of levels. This means that students aren’t limited to drawing on the knowledge of their friends and family when they need extra help. 94% of tutors who work with The Profs have a postgraduate degree and 41% hold PhDs or equivalent-level degrees. The upshot of this is that The Profs tutors are able to teach even final year undergraduates, Masters students, and PhD candidates.

Long-term Benefits

Tutoring also doesn’t need to be forever, but the benefits are long term. The learnings that students make can increase their receptiveness and ability to learn effectively in collective settings again. Tutoring also helps pupils to take control of their education, fostering self-directed learning and intellectual independence. 

Tutoring can be a useful stop-gap when school or university education lets you down, but it can be useful throughout life. The learning techniques and study habits that tutees pick up during their tutorials can also be applied to other subjects through their educational careers and in business.

Tutoring can also be returned to at different stages in your academic journey, just because you are a confident student at GCSE does not necessarily mean you’ll be confident at the undergraduate level. Companies like The Profs can match you with a different professional tutor for every need!

The Results do the Talking

The biggest benefit of tutoring is tangible results. Better assessments, improved test scores and report cards show the marked difference tutoring can have. A student’s final grade is more than just a piece of paper. Good school qualifications can give young people access to better further education institutions and a better career. Tutoring companies that have good testimonials, reviews, and stats about the impact they make on students’ grades are those that do the most to bolster student success when the system fails them.