Image: GCHQ

Maths and Cryptography Students

£20,536 pro rata

Cheltenham

Here at GCHQ, we have a clear purpose – we want to help protect the UK. We work against cyber-attacks, terrorism and espionage. So everyone who works here, works towards that goal. But we always do it together, supporting each other every step of the way. We’re proud to collaborate, and even prouder to work with purpose.

On this nine-week summer placement, you’ll develop your mathematical skills and get an insight into how we use innovative technologies. Collaborating with other students and colleagues across GCHQ, you’ll solve challenging problems and work on vital projects that are of operational interest to us. You might be involved in programming high performance computers, assessing cryptographic algorithms, analysing complex data sets or developing new statistical tools. No matter the project, you’ll keep communications secure and help to protect the UK.  

To join us on this summer placement, you must have completed at least three years of your mathematics degree and be on track to achieve a first-class honours qualification. While it’s great if you have some programming experience, it’s not a problem if you don’t. With a passion to learn and a real curiosity, we’ll teach you everything you need to know. And as a real team-player, you’ll thrive in our supportive environment and work with real purpose. 

To find out more and apply, visit www.gchq-careers.co.uk