Image: Sigmund on Unsplash

The Ultimate Guide to Renovating Your Condo Unit: 7 Rules To Follow for a Sustainable Condo Living

We can all do our part in decreasing our greenhouse gas emissions by taking steps to limit our consumption and practice greener, more sustainable habits in all areas of our homes.

Even if you’re sharing or renting a new condo in Mississauga, these seven tips for sustainable condo living can work perfectly for you, too.

Use Energy-Efficient White Goods at Home

More than saving money on your electricity bills, switching to energy-efficient white goods at home can help improve your overall lifestyle, as well as protect the environment.

Using energy-efficient white goods at home can decrease your home’s energy consumption by 80%.

You can also go the extra mile and switch to a renewable energy provider, like Bulb Energy. They provide 100% renewable energy solar, wind, and hydro sources.

Other great renewable energy providers to look into are Ecotricity, Ebico, Green Energy UK, and Good Energy.

Start Composting Food Waste

Living in a smaller space like a condo or flat can make it difficult to achieve certain things. But composting — composting is something you can do even in cramped spaces.

A simple steel compost pail is all you need to start composting food waste in your flat. If you’re unsure of what you can put in your compost, here’s a brief list for your reference:

• shredded brown paper bags
  • corn stalks
  • coffee filters
  • coffee grounds
  • conifer needles
  • eggshells

Here’s a quick guide to help you get started.

Switch to LED Lightbulbs

LED lighting provides several environmental advantages, including producing zero toxic elements, being energy efficient, and requiring fewer light fixtures. They also have a longer life span compared to other lights, making them the most cost-effective option for long-term uses.

Compared to fluorescent and incandescent lights, LED lights are known to be 80% more efficient. So, if you’re in the market for new light bulbs for your condo or flat, choose LED lights if possible.

Talk to Your Landlord About Making Sustainable Changes

A common issue among many of those renting a flat or condo is the lack of control over the space/area. Not all buildings are green buildings, but by raising your concerns with your landlord, both of you could work on making your living space more sustainable together.

Fixing broken pipes, leaking taps, and faulty electrical wirings are all part of every landlord’s responsibility. But so is making sure that your unit has enough insulation and energy-efficient utilities to keep you comfortable during your stay.

If you’re stuck with old heating systems and inefficient lighting, make sure to talk to your landlord about it.

Be Smarter with Water

While water is an essential part of life, many of us use and waste it without thinking about where it comes from. Around the world, people use billions of liters of water. And as our population grows, we’re going to need billions more.

Being smarter with how you use water can help make sure everyone’s taps keep flowing. Here are some ways to do that:

• Take shorter showers
  • Turn off the taps when not in use
  • Fix leaky taps and loos as soon as they become known
  • Catch rainwater to use for plant watering
  • Skip the car wash

Upgrade Your Home’s Insulation

Another way to make your home more sustainable and energy-efficient are to make sure it’s draught-proof. Keeping hot or cool air in a room will reduce your need to use fans, air conditioners, or heaters.

Another thing you can do to lessen your energy consumption is to go back to the basics:

• Wear a jumper and warm pants during colder seasons
  • Use a hot water bottle to heat yourself during cool days or nights
  • Wear looser and lighter clothes during warmer weather

Grow Your Food

There is a variety of sustainable living ideas for small spaces that you can take advantage of today — one of those being indoor gardening.

Indoor gardening is perfect if you’re living in a condo or flat and don’t have that much space to work with. Vegetables such as peas, kale, and zucchini are quite easy to grow indoors and are a great place to start for novice gardeners. Later down the line, however, you can start experimenting with vegetables and fruits that you love to eat.

Browse through seed catalogs to find the best options for you.

The Bottom Line

Sustainability shouldn’t be something that we practice only when we deem it convenient. Sustainability is a way of life and should be incorporated into our daily habits. Encourage your friends and loved ones to do the same.

Good luck!